RE: Sketch of an idea to address widget/package addressing with fragID syntax and media-type defn.

Hello Marcos,

[Aside: Hmmm process wise that would create a dependency on the publication of HTML 5 are you sure that you want to do that?]

Well there are ways around that, add a package description or meta-data file either at the root of the package or at each directory level and have it carry media-type information - or use 'magic numbers' or (if you really must - in the absense of other authoritative information), sniff/guess though I think that should be the least preferred option.

Anyway - that zip files don't intrinically maintain such info is not a show stopper - though I would have thought that carrying media-type information is a natural requirement for a packaging format for the web.

> > Other characters than / and ! could be choosen as path and
> > container separators respective.
> >
> > Could this or something like it meet your requirements? If
> > not... which ones does it fail to meet?
> >

> Nice solution. But, unfortunately, widgets don't support inner
> packages (they inner packages are treated as arbitrary files) and we
> have no requirements that call for inner package access.

Ok... but you answered a different question.

I asked which of your requirements would an approach like this *fail* to meet?

I could paraphrase your response as:

        "That would work, but it does more than we need."

Dan Brickley's response[a] emphasised the need for nesting packages in packages. Even if that is not a capability that widgets would need to use, widgets could still share the same syntax.

Anyway... I think that my sketch shows that there is a potential to develop a media-type + fragID-syntax based solution to the package component/widget addressing problem.

> Kind regards,
> Marcos
>
> [1]
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/infrastructure.html#content-type-0
>
> --
> Marcos Caceres
> http://datadriven.com.au

Regards

Stuart
--
[a] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2008Nov/0120.html

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks RG12 1HN
Registered No: 690597 England