Re: [widgets] Content-type sniffing and file extension to MIME mapping

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Bil Corry wrote:
> Marcos Caceres wrote on 11/29/2008 9:39 AM:
> > I had a discussion with Henri Sivonen and a few other people in the
> > HTML-WG about using HTML5's content-type sniffing as a way of deriving
> > the MIME type of files inside a widget package. Henri suggested that
> > we should primarily rely on file extensions as a way of mapping files
> > to MIME types. Although relying on extensions can be potentially
> > unreliable, it seems like a simple solution to a complicated problem.
>
> Content-sniffing can pose it's own problems, here's one example:
>
> 	http://www.gnucitizen.org/blog/backdooring-images/

Content-sniffing providing privilege escalation is a problem, as is
non-interoperable content-sniffing. However, assuming you define the
content-sniffing to not have any privilege escalations, and assuming that
all implementations implement the same thing, there's no problem.

Note also that none of this applies to widgets, since the user has already
given them as full a set of privileges as would be possible to obtain
through content-sniffing.