Re: New Progress draft (1.25)...

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 09:08:56 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>
>> Garrett Smith wrote:

>>>  Agree. Anyone who has another use case for loadend, please post up.
>>
>> I was also wondering why in your use case it made sense to fire loadend
>> before load/error/abort? I.e. what would you be doing in those events such
>> that you want the progress bar hidden at that point.
>>
>> Though I do agree that it makes sense to say "i'm done" before "here's the
>> data" (or "it failed").
>
> It seems to me that the order is not that significant - either you are
> trapping the specific end cases ("I'm done" / "It failed"), or you don't
> really care about them so you use the convenience loadend event, e.g. to
> remove your progress bar.

 "I'm done" is the loadend event and "it failed" is the error message
from abort|error.

> Given that whichever comes first will fire whichever comes second, I think
> the symmetry is as good an argument as any for ordering, so I am inclined to
> leave what we have now. Garrett, do you think that is really a wrong
> decision (and if so do others agree we should change it back)?

I've coded to requirements that specify the busy icon being hidden and
a message being shown. In those cases, I wanted a 'done' event.

It would be helpful to have input from HCI and U/X experts. What are
the majority of cases, is it "notify user of progress complete and
display a message," or "display a message, then notify the user of
progress complete."

Having loadend fire last is still better than not having it at all. In
the cases where order is significant, then it's still possible to code
around it.