Re: [access-control] "Origin: null" versus "Origin: "

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 03:05:20 +0200, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com> wrote:
> In some cases, XHR+AC will send an Origin header whose value is the
> empty string.  This asks server operators to distinguish between a
> request that lacks an Origin header (like a same-site request) and a
> request with an empty Origin header (say from a data URL), which might
> be tricky in various languages like mod_security.  Also, some proxies
> might normalize empty headers away if they represent the non-existence
> of a header with the empty string (as, for example, XMLHttpRequest
> does).

Actually, XMLHttpRequest distinguishes between the two. (Empty string
versus null, though not all browsers have implemented that feature yet.)

> A previous version of the spec sent the literal string "null" in these
> cases.  It seems like this behavior is preferable.  If we want to have
> the same behavior as postMessage, we might be able to change its
> origin property to use the string "null" in these cases too.

If HTML5 were to change Access Control would also automatically change.
However, browsers are already deploying this. Then again, I haven't
actually tested if any browser does Origin correctly yet.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>