Re: [widgets] Preferences API

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 01:35:42 +0200, Marcos Caceres
<marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I think we should dump the Widgets preferences API in favor of HTML5
> DOM's storage API. Basically, preferences API basically replicates
> what DOM Storage already defines. Also, DOM storage is already
> implemented across three or four browsers and we can assume the
> specification to be fairly stable (or hopefully it will be by the time
> we get to CR). Dumping the preferences API will also avoid problems in
> the future as HTML5 becomes prevalent in the market.

While I, in principle, agree that not replicating existing storage APIs is
a good thing, are we sure that all widget implementations will implement
HTML5?  Also, are we sure that a preference storage may not have
additional requirements that make them a bad match (such as encryption of
stored data)?

--
Arve Bersvendsen

Developer, Opera Software ASA, http://www.opera.com/