Re: [widgets] Preferences API

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 01:35:42 +0200, Marcos Caceres
> <marcosscaceres@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>> I think we should dump the Widgets preferences API in favor of HTML5
>> DOM's storage API. Basically, preferences API basically replicates
>> what DOM Storage already defines. Also, DOM storage is already
>> implemented across three or four browsers and we can assume the
>> specification to be fairly stable (or hopefully it will be by the time
>> we get to CR). Dumping the preferences API will also avoid problems in
>> the future as HTML5 becomes prevalent in the market.
>
> While I, in principle, agree that not replicating existing storage APIs is a
> good thing, are we sure that all widget implementations will implement
> HTML5?

As Jonas said, we would just mandate that implementations implement
just that one part of HTML5. Or, we just rip that part of HTML5 and
put it in our spec and make sure we keep them synced.

>Also, are we sure that a preference storage may not have additional
> requirements that make them a bad match (such as encryption of stored data)?

I also agree with Jonas that if it's good for widgets, it's probably
good for HTML5 as a whole. For V1 of widgets, I think that HTML5's
storage meets r26 [1]. But if new requirements arise (such as data
encryption) we should work with the HTML-WG on that.

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-reqs/#r26.-

--