Re: [widgets] icon text

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:29 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>This is a proposal to add alternative text to <icon> element. As with
>>the alt attribute in HTML, the alternative text could be used as
>>fallback content, or for context where an image icon does not fit or
>>is unsuitable, and for use by assistive technologies.
>>
>>Proposal 1:
>><icon src="sunny.gif" alt="sunny and warm"/>
>>
>>Proposal 2:
>><icon src="sunny.gif" label="sunny and warm"/>
>
> Using only attribute values as space for human readable text is widely
> regarded as bad design for reasons of accessibility and localization re-
> quirements. Also expect pushback from other working groups if you plan
> to add improved alternatives later, but don't ensure that content making
> use of that will degrade gracefully in downlevel clients.

Hmm... does that makes proposal 3 (<icon ..>..text...</icon) a more
suitable option than proposal 1 or 2 above?
If we go with proposal 3 for with Widgets 1.0, then would could limit
the content model of icon to just text and then extend it as needed
for future version (eg. allowing HTML through CData, etc).
--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au