Re: [Fwd: Offline data synchronization API]

The paper states it clearly -

    ... applications are also required to use a SQL-based programming
    model to take advantage of the local storage capabilities requiring
    the application to be rewritten to acquire off-line capabilities.

    ... applications locally store a transformation of online that is
    better suited to local processing in a local database, e.g. a local
    relational database. Applications must then employ a data switch
    between on-line and off-line operation, explicitly accessing the
    local database only when off-line. The problem with this approach is
    that the application devolves to two separate applications that are
    each accessible with the same UI. Worse, the application-specific
    data transformation can make it harder to perform
    application-independent synchronization.

There is no HTTP access model for local data in HTML5. The ability to
interpose a synchronized cache other than the browser's own is missing
in HTML5. Therefore, an application cannot transparently switch to a
local data model - that choice as well as the burden of synchronization
is entirely on the application programmer.

Nikunj