Re: Opting in to cookies - proposal

On Jun 13, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Jun 13, 2008, at 4:56 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Since I haven't received any feedback on the various straw-men in
>>> the "Opting in to cookies" thread, I'll send a full proposal
>>> (wrote most of this yesterday, Thomas wrote some opinions on
>>> cookies this morning).
>>>
>>> First off, as before, when I talk about "cookies" in this mail I
>>> really
>>> mean cookies + digest auth headers + any other headers that carry
>>> the
>>> users credentials to a site. However i'll just use the term
>>> "cookies"
>>> for readability, and since that is on the web currently the most
>>> common carrier of credentials.
>>>
>>> So here goes:
>>>
>>> When loading a resource using access-control associate the request
>>> with
>>> a "with credentials" flag.
>>>
>>> When the resource is loaded using an URI which starts with the
>>> string
>>> "user-private:" set the "with credentials" flag to true. Otherwise
>>> set
>>> it to false.
>> How could an http or https URI start with the string "user-
>> private:"? Are you proposing a new URI scheme?
>
> My proposal is for nesting schemes, so you'd load user-private:http://example.com/address.php

That strikes me as distasteful. I would prefer to see a separate
includeCrossSiteCredentials parameter on XHR somewhere than to use in-
band signalling via the URL, if we feel this is needed.

However, I am not sure I understand the purpose of extra client-side
opt-in to cookies. Presumably the client side is cross-site and
therefore not under control of the server. So if the server is
careless about cross-site requests that include cookies or other
credentials, then I do not see how an opt-in mechanism on the client
side helps at all.

regards,
Maciej