Re: [XHR] LC comments from the XForms Working Group

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your prompt reply, and for clarifying your intentions.

I had suspected that there was another way to interpret the
specification, but since I couldn't imagine why anyone working on a
W3C specification would want to prevent it from being used by other
specifications, I thought it best to give the spec the benefit of the
doubt.

Anyway, this clarification means that the spec falls down on two counts.

The first is that if you want to insist that there is a 'context
dependency' whereby XHR objects must only exist in a world that
supports the HTML 5 Window object, then you really need to change the
wording of section 4. It currently says:

  Objects implementing the Window interface must provide an XMLHttpRequest()
  constructor. [HTML5]

This does not imply that a conforming implementation of XHR needs to
support Window; it merely says that *if* a user agent supports Window,
then it must also support the XHR constructor.

However, as you can imagine, the XForms WG regards that tack is both
unnecessary and wasteful; hence the second count on which the spec
falls down.

Certainly, a big problem is that the HTML 5 spec is not yet complete,
so you are mandating a dependency on something that is not yet
available.

But this whole relationship is unnecessary because the XHR object
could be used in many different contexts, in web application
architectures far more varied than those narrowly conceived at
present.

You might say that since you are only documenting what currently
exists, then this is not your problem, which would lead to the
following comments:

 * why go out of your way to prevent a standard from being reusable? This is why
   it is wasteful;

 * the HTML 5 Window object does not currently exist, so how can this
dependency?

 * the original XHR object--the Internet Explorer ActiveX control--can
be instantiated
   independently of a browser, so if you want to document 'what
currently exists' you
   need to allow for this, whether or not it is 'good design'.

Our original requests for minor changes to the document to clarify
that the XHR object be usable in other contexts and other
specifications therefore still stand.

Regards,

Mark

--