About test repository structure

From: Zhang, Zhiqiang <zhiqiang.zhang@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:20:27 +0000
To: "public-webapps-testsuite@w3.org" <public-webapps-testsuite@w3.org>
CC: "'public-test-infra@w3.org'" <public-test-infra@w3.org>
Hi folks,

In http://www.w3.org/wiki/Webapps/Submitting_tests#Test_Repository_Structure, the structure of the web-platform-tests repository, is addressed as

.../[specification]/
.../[specification]/[section]/test.htm
Where:
[specification] is the short-name of a specification as used when the spec is published as a Technical Report e.g. XMLHttpRequest, workers, webstorage
[section] is up to three level deep sections of the spec where the test belongs. NOTE: some tests do not use the section subdirectories.

I wonder if all [specification]s need [section], and follow such structure? Because currently there are specifications don't use [section], like webstorage, and specifications don't follow such structure, like FileAPI (whose tests are in test/submission/ subdirectory).

Since the upcoming Test the Web Forward Shanghai event will focus on the File API and Web Storage specifications, I would like to reconstruct the structure of File API as that of Web Storage (no [section]), or as https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/262 (with [section]), if get a conclusion here.

Thanks,
Zhiqiang