Re: Extra Connection Support Proposal

Stewart Brodie wrote:
> "Kris Zyp" <kris@sitepen.com> wrote:
>
>> We are still faced with the fundamental problem that if a browser that
>> observes the two connection limit and two long-lived connections are
>> currently open and the user does something that triggers another request
>> (such as opening another tab), the browser is stuck and essentially hangs
>> waiting for a connection to become available. This is a serious usability
>> issue. Is there something that I need to do to improve my proposal, so can
>> effectively tackle this issue, and provide a means for authors to inform
>> the user agents when a response is long-lived?
>
> The problem has always existed, though.  For example, if you're downloading
> a page with very large images on it (or perhaps multipart/x-mixed-replace
> feeds from a webcam) and whilst the browser is tied up downloading them all,
> you click on a link, does the link get followed?  That is the same sort of
> scenario, isn't it?

At least firefox will abort any existing downloads for the current page
when the user clicks a link. But if you're downloading these images in
another tab you might have this problem yeah. Though if it's simply
multiple images the new page will likely get squeezed in between two of
the image downloads.

/ Jonas