Re: [XHR2] XMLHttpRequest and progress events

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 07:17:46 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 23:20:14 +1000, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 03:04:14 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
>>>
>>> It would need the network layer to tell it.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to describe this in the specification?
>
> Why does it need to be in the specification?

The specification needs to describe when to dispatch these events.

> But if the UA doesn't know how much it has uploaded, is there a problem?
> The progress spec doesn't actually give any clues about what to do in
> that case (except not give a progress event if you have no idea that you
> made progress, which is implicit rather than stated). Should it say
> something else?

I've defined this as part of the send() algorithm (some time ago) in:

   http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/XMLHttpRequest-2/Overview.html