Re: [XHR2] XMLHttpRequest and progress events

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 23:20:14 +1000, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 03:04:14 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
>>> ...Can someone explain to me how the user agent knows how much content
>>> it already has uploaded?
>>
>> It would need the network layer to tell it.
>
> Any suggestions on how to describe this in the specification?

Why does it need to be in the specification?

But if the UA doesn't know how much it has uploaded, is there a problem?
The progress spec doesn't actually give any clues about what to do in that
case (except not give a progress event if you have no idea that you made
progress, which is implicit rather than stated). Should it say something
else?

>>> Should we dispatch a loadstart event on that object as well even
>>> though it will be at the same moment it is dispatched on the
>>> XMLHttpRequest object? When to dispatch the progress events and abort,
>>> error, etc?
>>
>> Don't know the answers to these, but I think it would be helpful to get
>> a complete set of events for an upload, in other words, the same set
>> you'd get for the corresponding download.
>
> I suppose that makes sense. I suppose abort would be dispatched when
> abort() is invoked and data is still being uploaded or when the user
> aborts the upload while data is being uploaded. error would be
> dispatched because of some network error and load would be dispatched
> whenever the "network layer" (however we're going to translate that into
> specification terminology) says it's done.

Makes sense to me too.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com   http://snapshot.opera.com - Kestrel (9.5α1)