Re: XMLHttpRequest progress events

* Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> It rather seems like a bad idea to report progress of multi-gigabyte
>> downloads with byte-precision. DOM Level 3 Load and Save does not de-
>> fine that the attributes represent a number of octets.
>
>What precision would you propose? It has to be defined to be able to
>give a size to the user.

What are the use cases for that exactly? You can determine a percentage
of progress no matter whether the numbers are in bytes or gigabytes or
whatever, and it is not clear to me that the numbers would be meaning-
ful if, say, the user agent is behind a data compression proxy, or how
any specific unit would be appropriate if you could use a protocol where
you don't know the totalSize until late in the transfer, and consider
cases where multi-gigabyte resources might be transferred with XHR. If
the concern is making [ x bytes of y bytes ] style widgets, I'd suggest
we agree on use cases first, and then discuss syntax.