Re: [XHR] What mime types should trigger XML parsing?

* Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>Should implementations be allowed or required to use intrinsic
>knowledge from other sources than media type registration? For
>example, suppose my user agent recognizes "image/svg-xml" or "text/
>xsl". Should it then treat these as XML, even though they are
>unregistered, and will likely never be registered?

Well, I would write into the specification that implementations fill the
responseXML property if and only if they are able to derive a Document
from the entity body in accord with applicable specifications. If that
is too vague I would suggest we additionally consider cases such as:

  * XHTML delivered as text/html
  * application/fastinfoset
  * other media types for "binary XML"
  * XML 2.0, which does not use 3023 types
  * implementations that support non-XML
    formats by deriving a XML DOM from them

It seems unlikely that an implementation of XHR and some binary XML
format would make it impossible to use them in combination just because
our specification requires that.