Re: ISSUE-75: Is method case-sensitive?

Ian Hickson wrote:
> I wasn't saying the spec had to represent what happens _today_, that's
> obviously impossible since the implementations differ. My point was that
> one of the implementors told you "we might never be able to do this" and
> yet it was still being considered.
>
> Once an implementor says "can't happen", especially if they give quite
> simple and clear reasons, there's no point going in that direction any
> more. In this particular case, it means there's no point requiring "put"
> to be sent as "put" instead of "PUT" because an implementor has informed
> you that implementors use network libraries that are outside their
> controls and these libraries sometimes convert "put" to "PUT".

Well, if you're referring to Boris' mail
(<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006Apr/0368.html>):

>> And here we run into the issue I keep meaning to bring up.... The HTTP
>> implementation may not be under the control of the XHR implementation.
>> Certainly in Mozilla all XHR does is pass the method on as-is to the networking
>> library; it has no control over what the networking library does with it.  Now
>> it so happens that the networking library in question is also in mozilla.org
>> cvs, so it _might_ be possible to fix it (though it may also not be; the APIs
>> involved are frozen and have plenty of other consumers).  But there's no
>> guarantee that this is the case for XHR implementations in general.

...it seems to me that he said that it may be possible to fix it.

Anyway, after many years of stagnation the most important browsers are
being updated again, so I'm really surprised that just one of them
saying "this may be hard to fix" would cause the spec to unnecessarily
profile HTTP. Can we wait until some of the important implementors says
"this is *impossible* to fix"???

Best regards, Julian