Re: ISSUE-75: Is method case-sensitive?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:11:28 +0200, Gorm Haug Eriksen <gormer@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 17:05:48 +0200, Robin Berjon
> <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:
>
>> If implementations are not case-sensitive for the method name, I would
>> say it really is bug and it needs to be fixed rather than ratified.
>
> I tested in IE and FF. Both seems to be case-sensitive.

Hallvord tooled me that this only applies to the unknown methods. I tested
it some more and here are the results:

FF 1.5.0.2:
Test 1 Sent: 'head' Received: ''
Test 2 Sent: 'HEAD' Received: ''
[ FF rewrites head to HEAD, no body is returned ]
Test 3 Sent: 'get' Received: 'GET '
Test 4 Sent: 'post' Received: 'POST '
Test 5 Sent: 'put' Received: 'PUT '
Test 6 Sent: 'delete' Received: 'DELETE '
Test 7 Sent: 'foo' Received: 'FOO '
[ A bug? ]
Test 8 Sent: 'bar' Received: 'bar '
Test 9 Sent: 'BAR' Received: 'bar '
[ A bug? ]
Test 10 Sent: 'Hobbit' Received: 'Hobbit '
Test 11 Sent: 'Dudo Hardbottle' Received:
[ FF throwed an NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE exception ]

IE 6:
Test 1 Sent: 'head' Received: 'head '
[ IE look on head as a different method than HEAD. Body is returned. ]
Test 2 Sent: 'HEAD' Received: ''
[ IE follow the HTTP spec and doesn't return the body ]
Test 3 Sent: 'get' Received: 'GET '
Test 4 Sent: 'post' Received: 'GET '
[ Must be a natural explanation for this ]
Test 5 Sent: 'put' Received: 'PUT '
Test 6 Sent: 'delete' Received: 'delete '
[ IE doesn't recognize delete ]
Test 7 Sent: 'foo' Received: 'foo '
Test 8 Sent: 'bar' Received: 'bar '
Test 9 Sent: 'BAR' Received: 'BAR '
Test 10 Sent: 'Hobbit' Received: 'Hobbit '
Test 11 Sent: 'Dudo Hardbottle' Received: 'Dudo '

Cheers,

- Gorm