Re: XHR: restrictions on request headers

Jim Ley wrote:

> "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
>> Jim Ley wrote:
>>>
>>> "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
>>>
>>> How would an author do that?  Or do you mean the ASCII use case, and
>>> not might accessibility tool use case?
>>
>> The only use case I've heard so far is the ability to request a
>> pure-ascii response. Or I guess more generally requesting an encoding
>> that only contains a specific subset of the unicode map. However I'm
>> not sure what value this gives over simply looping over responseText
>> and testing if all chars are in the desired subset.
>
> As part of the W3's EARL work, it's likely I'll be resurrecting some
> tools of mine which consume EARL reports about a site and present
> information to the user about the problems, these tools either run in
> the browser as a script extension, or by being installed on the site
> that's tested.  To be able to show the error, I need to be able to
> repeat the request that was tested, this means sending the same headers
> - so I need to be able to achieve that.  Of course if the encoding is
> not supported then I cannot do anything and expect it to fail, but in
> the majority situation lots of encodings are supported so changing
> preferences will work.

I'm not sure I understand the use case. Do you need to be able to send
any combination of headers as was repeated earlier by another UA? If so
I don't think we can ever archive that functionality since there will
always be some headers that we want to limit.

/ Jonas