RE: Ajax Back/Forward History problem - saving document state by document.save()

________________________________

From: public-webapi-request@w3.org on behalf of kenny heaton

>Maybe for applications we need a whole new set of tools on the browser
>toolbar that web developers can tie into, like the undo button for
>example.

Here's an option - an adaptive interface like the Office 12 Ribbon Bar.

http://office-watch.com/office/office12UI-1.asp

Trusted sites and applications would have the capability to manage the content of the interface itself, through a set of META tags or the navigator object.  That way we have document-style back and forward buttons for informational sites, and cut/copy/paste/undo for applications.

Truth be told, IE7 at least will probably have the Ribbon Bar anyway, since it now seems to be part of the core components at MS.  Office, as painful as it is to say, tends to drive user interface trends on PCs.  That fact could be used to the advantage of the group.  If it _is_ going to be on IE7, why not make it adaptive?

To return to the original question, then, would be to say that we might not have to deal with the back button at all, just change the browser UI to most closely match the paradigm of our application.