Re: HTTPbis and the Same Origin Policy

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> Do you see an actual flaw in my reasoning as applied to the command-line
> tool in question?

Sending a POST request with Content-Type application/xml using a
webbot is a likely thing to do and the redirect attack would not be
prevented by either of the mitigations you listed.

> I think it is correct that blindly following redirects even in a relatively
> low-level client may expose resources behind firewalls to unexpected
> requests, and that this may pose security risk.

Great, that's the door I was trying to open: even low-level HTTP
clients need some SOP knowledge.

> I'm not sure there is risk
> beyond that unless the client executes script that it receives, processes
> HTML, or otherwise behaves in a browser-like way. We should probably figure
> out the scope of the risk and a recommendation for mitigating it before
> debating whose job it is to document it.

I suspect there's also a need to specify the SOP restrictions around
access to responses, but the attack scenario is more complicated to
explain. I think it can be done without involving HTML or scripting.
All you need is a multi-request scenario in which the client sends a
request that includes data from a previous GET response. The attack
resource redirects the GET request to a resource behind the firewall.
Anyways, we can come back to that later if we get the ball rolling
with the simpler redirect of a POST/PUT/DELETE scenario.

--Tyler