Re: HTTPbis and the Same Origin Policy

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Adam Barth wrote:
>> PUT is more dangerous than POST only because, historically, browsers
>> have allowed cross-origin POST but not PUT.  That means servers had to
>> tollerate cross-origin POST without exploding, but they did not need
>> to tolerate cross-origin PUT.  Therefore, there exist servers that
>> explode on a cross-origin PUT.
>
> Evidence?

Evidence of which part?  The exploding servers?  Google Web Toolkit
uses custom headers to protect itself from CSRF [1], which is similar.
 I've written a web service that used PUT to protect itself from CSRF,
but that might not count.  :)

Adam

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/web/security-for-gwt-applications