RE: Server Workaround to Render "Second" Documents Acceptable?

quote:
> From a Designer/Programmer point of view, replacing <OBJECT> with some
> dynamic <IFRAME> mechanism is the probably the excellent perspective for
> implementing a work-around.

True, doing this on the server side could be an elegant fix for simple flash
objects in existing pages, but it won't do any good if the original page had
any kind of Flash - JavaScript interaction.

I can think of several instances where we had JavaScript talk to Flash or
vice versa and these interactions would break in such a scenario.

The only option that I have heard of from the original MS presentation in
San Francisco that would not break the DOM in some way is to prompt the user
before Flash is being executed. If all it takes is a user prompt to avoid a
patent conflict, the object would still exist as usual in the page for
JavaScript to talk to.

But this is of course all guesswork without more data. It would be very nice
if we could get any more information about these mysterious "options" that
MS presented to Macromedia et al. Is anybody from the W3C listening in on
this mailing list or are we here just stumbling around in the fog?

Thomas

Thomas Sturm
Senior User Interface Developer

Modem Media