Re: Firefox and User Timing API in workers

On 5/27/15 2:41 PM, Ilya Grigorik wrote:
> Ah, good catch, missed that in the earlier update. Opened a bug to track
> this:
> https://github.com/w3c/resource-timing/issues/23

Thanks!

> Right, as written its SW specific.. I think we can make it work in both
> cases though.

Can we just have a property that works in all cases (workers, windows,
etc) so people can just write their code without worrying about where
it's running.

> FWIW, there is no "navigationStart" attribute in RT

We're not adding it as part of RT.  For that matter, performance.now()
is not part of RT.

RT proper has no way, in a window, to convert its timestamps into
something like wall-clock times.  Nor can high-res timing do it on its
own.  Both of them need the 0 time value as wall-clock time for various
things people want to do (e.g. comparing timestamps across globals).

> The intent was to have "workerStart" reflect the "zero time" within a worker.

Given that the zero time within a dedicated workers is the zero time of
its parent page, calling it "workerStart" is pretty odd.

> I do believe that latest draft of Perf Timeline should address both of
> the above:
> - http://w3c.github.io/performance-timeline/#the-performance-interface
> - http://w3c.github.io/performance-timeline/#the-performanceentry-interface

Ah, yes, that looks much better.  Unfortunately, that document doesn't
seem to be linked anywhere from <http://w3c.github.io/resource-timing/>...