Re: Event and DOMHighResTimeStamp

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:16:40 -0400
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
On 6/11/14, 3:09 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> The bottom line was that we felt it was a bit out of place for us to
> extend the Event interface in the HRT spec. I believe you were
> uncomfortable in adding it in the DOM specification because the time
> origin is defined in terms of the HTML navigation definition. Is that
> still you're thinking and do you still believe we should be the one to
> extend the Event interface?

It seems like the right solution here is to declare that every global
has a corresponding time origin and use it here.  Then the spec that
defines that global can define what its time origin is...

In particular, that would solve little issues like events existing in
web workers, whose time origin is clearly not going to be defined in
terms of HTML navigation in all cases (e.g. shared workers!).