Re: [resource hints] preconnect, preload, prender

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:53 AM, Jonny Rein Eriksen <jonnyr@opera.com>wrote:

> Does the order of tags indicate importance, or should there be other ways
> of indicating priority? Does that change if injecting hints through js?

I don't think the order should matter -- the type should determine
priority. Just because one <script> tag is above another in the doc doesn't
give it higher priority (short of just being parsed earlier), I think same
should apply for hints. When creating a hint via JS, setting the type
attribute should set its priority.

> Could the hints also be used on subsequent loads to improve performance?

You mean preloading assets for next navigation? If so, both <link
rel="preload" lazyload> and <link rel="prerender"> are exactly that...

> Would this be better than hints the browser could generate/store itself?

The browser should do as much as it can on its own. BUT, there are cases
where the app developer has specific app knowledge based on navigation
patterns, type of user, etc., and that's what these hints are for. In
short, we need both. It's not either/or.