Re: what is the minimal feature set of a wot server?

hi Vlad

Looks good!

A few random questions:

I've been playing with the ESP8266 developing wifi-connected
sensor/actuator boards. The MCU on these
chips is pretty powerful, and we plan to host several sensors on each
board. Would the WoT server running
on the MCU expose these as multiple things, or expose the board itself as a
single thing?

Is there anything in the model about joining? (E.g. the ESP can act as a
wifi access point, so we can
have quite a convenient "configure me" routine that offers an access point
and serves a config UI, e.g.
to enter the credentials of a more permanent local access point to join. I
guess this is outside of the WoT
space, or...?)

I can see the advantage of a WT and a WoT server sharing a core API, but
presumably the latter
will expose additional functionality, e.g. authentication? I guess that WTs
will often be too constrained
to do anything clever with authentication and will rely on local firewalls
and the like, whereas part
of the point of a WoT server might be fine-grained access control. (Perhaps
this is the type of thing that an
"Interoperable Web Thing" does?)

Would a WoT server host a Linked Data repository by default? And therefore
a SPARQL endpoint?
(I'm not familiar with JSON-LD; perhaps there's some equivalent query API
there?)

I wonder what the "semantic extensions" might look like? If we're already
in Linked Data then we
can presumably apply additional logic up to and including OWL over the top
of the data exposed
by WoT servers? Perhaps this logic will often be application specific
(and/or non-existent), which
might suggest they may be an expensive thing to include in the basic model?
(I like this diagram --
https://camo.githubusercontent.com/8dfbcb18d4bd494f4247b80ce573072ad1d23615/687474703a2f2f7765626f667468696e67732e6f72672f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323031352f30342f776f742d6c6576656c732e706e67
-- but also think that is potentially quite a lot of layers to understand.)

In
https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/TF-AP/wot-compose-recommendation/web-things-model
the
table entry for "name" is wrongly copied from another entry I think?

Re. the reqs doc --
https://github.com/w3c/wot/tree/master/TF-AP/wot-compose-recommendation/web-things-requirements

-- I guess that some things will be too resource-constrained to fulfil all
the desiderata? In which
case they have to operate via a proxy, or? (Perhaps that is what a
"gateway" is?)

I'll try and make the interest group telecon tomorrow morning; see you
there?

Have a good one,

Hamish Cunningham
Professor of Computer Science, University of Sheffield, UK
07920 765 455  http://twitter.com/@HCunningham  hamish@gate.ac.uk
http://pi.gate.ac.uk  http://hamish.gate.ac.uk  http://gate.ac.uk