Re: OMA liaison statement on network APIs activities

Thanks for this Bryan!

Ok I can voice these opinions on the call this evening, thanks for all the
notes! If you wouldn¡¯t mind would you keep us informed of how the OMA
discussion goes?

Thanks again for your help!

Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0) 7730
219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org

7th Floor, 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3BF

On 2014/07/15 5:56, "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L" <bs3131@att.com> wrote:

>Hi Natasha,
>
>Unfortunately I have a standing conflict with the WebMob meetings,
>otherwise I would attend this one for sure.
>
>FYI I've initiated a followup discussion in the OMA on W3C mail list
>comments (e.g. principally comments that the APIs are not "RESTful"...
>aargh!). But whatever, ideas about how web APIs *should* be designed do
>evolve over time, and I'm sure that if OMA needs to it will catch up with
>the current philosophy. The principle deviation appears to be in the
>definition of "fixed resource names or hierarchies" for resources,
>something I guess that comes from the ingrained tendency toward ensuring
>interoperability through deterministic / fully-specified client-server
>interfaces, which I guess one could argue can be achieved without "fixed
>resource names or hierarchies".
>
>On coop opps, I do spend a lot of time ensuring that OMA technologies and
>related services where possible are (a) based upon web technologies; (b)
>compatible/integratable with web technologies; (c) accessible to the web.
>So in OMA enablers you will see a lot of references to web specs, WebIDL,
>and API design patterns (where again it's hard to keep up with W3C, but
>oh well). Almost every service enabler we work on in OMA has both a
>protocol-based (e.g. SIP/IMS) and web-based/compatible (e.g. "RESTful"
>network APIs) exposure, and some APIs (e.g. the "RESTful Network API for
>WebRTC Signaling" [1]) are explicitly designed for integrating
>traditional telco services with the web.
>
>And as telecom services get re-imagined/deployed as cloud services under
>network function virtualization, we are likely to see even more synergy
>between OMA (and even 3GPP) and W3C.
>
>[1]
>http://technical.openmobilealliance.org/Technical/technical-information/re

>lease-program/current-releases/rest_netapi_webrtcsignaling_v1_0
>
>Thanks,
>Bryan Sullivan | Service Standards | AT&T

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.