Re: Taxonomy of mobile apps approaches

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:13:39 +0200
To: Richard Conyard <richard.conyard@redant.com>
Cc: "public-web-mobile@w3.org" <public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Hi Richard,

Le lundi 23 septembre 2013 à 20:21 +0100, Richard Conyard a écrit :
> I've a question on the terminology for web app and the use of web
> technologies in the description.
>
> With many HTML5 libraries it is possible to keep a majority of
> functionality on device (local storage for example). The like native
> and hybrid, without being either.
>
> Is there good cause to introduce a runtime requirement of being
> constantly / majority connected in these definitions?

My take is that connectivity should be kept as an orthogonal aspect in
this taxonomy: there is a growing number of ways for Web sites to work
off-line, and there are a non-negligible number of "pure" native apps
that will only work on-line.

Maybe that should actually be made explicit in the taxonomy?

Thanks,

Dom