Payments on the Web (was: Introduction)

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:53:31 +0200
To: Christophe Lassus <christophe.lassus@flirtymob.com>
Cc: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Hi Christophe,

Le samedi 14 septembre 2013 à 23:34 +0200, Christophe Lassus a écrit :
> I understand that mobile payment is not in the scope of this IG at the
> moment, not sure if it could be; however, I would help tremendously the
> Mobile Web becoming a credible alternative to native apps if some sort
> of payment mechanism emerged.

FWIW, this is one of the topics that was explored in depth during the
spring by a so called "headlight" task force:
http://www.w3.org/wiki/Payments_Task_Force

As a result of that work, it looks likely (but it hasn't been confirmed
yet) that W3C will organize a workshop on this topic early in 2014.

There is also an active Community Group doing a lot of work in this
space:
http://www.w3.org/community/webpayments/

In summary, it's clear that payment remains one space where the Web is
lagging, but hopefully, this could change significantly in the upcoming
months; it's definitely a topic this group should watch.

Thanks,

Dom