Re: Web Intents - Suggested Deliverables (part 2)

I think this is a good list.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe the terms in this email were introduced in my previous email
> [1], if not, hopefully they'll be further explained in subsequent
> messages.
>
> §1 On Deliverables.
>
> My hope is that this TF produces:
>
> A. Best Practices.
>
> Basic Audiences: Clients, User Agents, Partner Providers, and Users.

As a linguistic note, Paul, James and I have been referring to "Partner
Providers" as "Services."

> Possibly one per audience or one unified document.
>
> It's unfortunately likely that each of these will be externally superseded.
>
> B. Provider Description Definition For Discovery.
>
> The Business Card definition. This could be an HTTP header, a mime
> defined file, and/or an html link notation. Its purpose is to
> advertise that a given URI supports a given Action. This enables
> Discovery of Partner Providers by User Agents.
>
> C. User Agent Bindings.
>
> How one requests an Action and how it is delivered (and how additional
> data is included) to a Partner Provider.
>
> D. Action Description Framework.
>
> How one defines an Action so that Clients know what to give as input
> and what Partners need to Provide for that Action.

Our proposal at
https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/design-documents/webintentsapifocuses
on the API syntax, but these definitions will be very important.
http://webintents.org/#defaultintents has more of our current thinking on
this.

> E. Basic Actions
>
> According to this Action Description Framework.
>
> Probably one per Action (Share, Call, Print, Location, ...).
>

> Now that could be one document, but I expect at least Five.
> Probably 3 + n × (Best Practices) + m × (Basic Actions).

Sounds good to me. What's your advice? Is it better to structure it as
fewer documents (with anchors to sections of course)? Or is it more
digestible to structure it as more documents?