Re: [W3C Web and TV IG] Adaptive streaming MPEG DASH liaison

Steve,

these are all high-level requirements you are phrasing.

It would be very helpful that someone (is there a responsible point-of-contact) puts down some much more concrete requirements.

For example, you talking about timing, and something being "too late". Too late for what?
- What is the time plan?
- What are expected outcomes and deliverables?
- What are the requirements for these outcomes?

W3C or W3C Web and TV IG needs to define this and communicate to the other organisations in order for other organisations and member companies to be able to act accordingly.
Organisations and/or member of these organisations can act and may be able to act quickly, but they can not act based on hallway discussions, high-level e-mail discussions and so on.

I may have missed this information as I was only attending the second workshop, but if these concrete project plans are available, it would be great to get pointers to those.

/T

On Mar 21, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Steve Lhomme wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>> I also want to say that most of us are not lawyers. I'm uncomfortable with a
>> liaison to MPEG using terms like "strict RF policy" and "RF profile" which
>> could have legal or other meanings we do not understand. We should just
>> state W3C's requirement: "compatibility with the W3C patent policy" and ask
>> if DASH can meet that bar. The lawyers can work out what is required for
>> that. They are paid well enough.
>
> Which lawyers are we talking about here ? From what I understand MPEG
> is not a "creating" entity by itself, but the sum of all its
> participants.  So I assume that would be the lawyers of each company
> having IPR in DASH. That means each company has a coordinate effort
> going in the same direction. That may take a little while. And that's
> time wasted on the W3C side waiting for DASH to come out with whatever
> they can propose, which may be nothing in the end.
>
> --
> Steve Lhomme
> Matroska association Chairman

---
Dr. Thomas Stockhammer (CEO) || stockhammer@nomor.de || phone +49 89 978980 02 || cell +491725702667 || http://www.nomor-research.com
Nomor Research GmbH  -  Sitz der Gesellschaft: München - Registergericht: München, HRB 165856 – Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE238047637 - Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Stockhammer, Dr. Ingo Viering.