Re: [W3C Web and TV IG] Adaptive streaming MPEG DASH liaison

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Mar 19, 2011, at 10:24 AM, "Rob Glidden" <rob.glidden@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> ISO disclosure obligations are clearly documented at
>> http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc29/29w7proc.htm.  Short incomplete
>> summary: proposers, preparers and liaisons "shall", participants
>> "should", non-participants "may", multiple other shalls and shall nots.
>>
>> Slickly-worded AFAIKs to the contrary, DASH as-is has multiple
>> patent-disclosed normative references (and outstanding patent call).
>
> I'm sorry, but I am not trying to deceive anyone here and I'm not especially happy with that accusation.
>
> Can you tell me a single disclosed essential patent on DASH itself ? Of course, if you use it with H.264 or other codecs or containers with patents of their own then you will be subject to those. And of course the DASH specification has normative references to those things, but they are not essential to DASH.

I think this patent might be essential to adaptive streaming as it's
done in DASH and most other solutions. At the very least for live
streaming (it states each streamlet (=fragment) is stored in different
files). It also covers the encoders set to encode streamlet for
synched regular intervals.

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=wCvYAAAAEBAJ&dq=7818444

I don't know if this company is part of MPEG and working on DASH (ie
if it should disclose the patent or not).

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman