Re: [W3C Web and TV IG] Adaptive streaming MPEG DASH liaison

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> I also want to say that most of us are not lawyers. I'm uncomfortable with a
> liaison to MPEG using terms like "strict RF policy" and "RF profile" which
> could have legal or other meanings we do not understand. We should just
> state W3C's requirement: "compatibility with the W3C patent policy" and ask
> if DASH can meet that bar. The lawyers can work out what is required for
> that. They are paid well enough.

Which lawyers are we talking about here ? From what I understand MPEG
is not a "creating" entity by itself, but the sum of all its
participants.  So I assume that would be the lawyers of each company
having IPR in DASH. That means each company has a coordinate effort
going in the same direction. That may take a little while. And that's
time wasted on the W3C side waiting for DASH to come out with whatever
they can propose, which may be nothing in the end.

--
Steve Lhomme
Matroska association Chairman