Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

On Feb 15, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 18:40 -0500, Ali C. Begen (abegen) wrote:
>> I think folks need to agree on the container format not the codec type. A good container format will be good for several codecs that exist today and will yet to come.
>
> My understanding is that the IP issues surrounding the codec types are
> also surrounding the container formats and the streaming technologies.

IANAL but I don't think that is quite true. To my knowledge there are no IP issues with the ISO Base Media File Format (ISO/IEC 14496-12) which is one of the more widely used container formats.

For "streaming technologies", it is my hope that DASH will be Royalty-Free and some companies have already stated that intention in respect of their IPR.

This is a very different state of affairs from codecs such as H.264, for example.

...Mark