Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

For that matter, HTML5 does not require a UA to support either the HTML
syntax of HTML5 or the XML syntax of HTML5. A compliant HTML5 UA could
support neither (albeit with little utility).

HTML5 does *not* specify:

   - which top-level document types must be supported
   - which version of ECMAScript must be supported
   - which version/modules of CSS must be supported
   - which version/modules of DOM must be supported
   - which URI schemes (protocols) must be supported
   - which non-streaming media types must be supported
   - which streaming media types must be supported

HTML5 is a technology framework specification that requires other
specifications (profiles) to fill in these gaps. In the context of certain
TV standardization activities, such work to define one or more profiles is
already underway.

N.B. I am not criticizing HTML5 for not making such choices. In fact, I
think the editor and group has taken the best approach in that regard.

G.