Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Re: [Fwd: local device discovery - api, demo and source code]

I agree with the motto "everything is a service" but this doesn't mean the
concept of devices is not needed at all.
If it's true that computers can only deal with services, humans instead
think more about "devices".

So the architecture should probably be service centric but each service
should have attached some metadata (even if not exposed to the
application) that allows the app and/or UA to identify the device offering
this service and the user to recognize it.

An interesting discussion though is how much information about the device
should be exposed to the application.
I'm starting to believe that for privacy reasons it would better to expose
as few information as possible to the application, and rely on the UA to
show a more complete view on the device.

I.e. you would have an opaque Identifier for your device, let's say a
string, and an API (or some other mechanism) to ask the UA "show the
information about this device to the User".
This way you avoid leaking of information from the home network.

/g

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:15:32 +0200, Clarke Stevens
<C.Stevens@cablelabs.com> wrote:

> This is the perspective I'm taking as well, although you could perhaps
> infer that a single IP address represents a "device" if that concept is
> useful in a particular context.
>
> -Clarke

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software - Sweden