Re: [tech] Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

Hi, HJ-

Please let me clarify: DOM3 Events would not define or even suggest any
arrangement of keys on the remote; DOM3 Events would not require any set
of keys to be present or supported on a remote.

What DOM3 Events would define is a set of possible common key values
associated with the remote control of media devices; if these keys are
present on the remote, and the remote is being used to control a user
agent (browser) that supports DOM3 Events, then the value that the
browser script would expose to the content developer when the user
presses one of these defined keys should be the value from the list of
predefined keys.

That makes it easier for content authors to create Web content that
works across devices.

Please note that this does not limit or constrain other software on the
same system (including the device OS) from using a different value for
that same key.  For example, HbbTV defines the key values 'play',
'pause', and 'stop'  (mapped to the virtual keys VK_PLAY and VK_PAUSE or
VK_PLAY_PAUSE, and VK_STOP, as appropriate to the remote device
drivers), while DOM3 Events would define the key values
'MediaPlayPause', 'MediaPlay', 'MediaPause', and 'MediaStop'; on a
device supporting both HbbTV and a Web browser, for OS-level methods the
virtual-key values would be used, for HbbTV applications the HbbTV
values would be used, and for Web content the browser would expose these
with the DOM3 Events names; same key, same event, different strings.

So, for TV vendors, you would not have to change anything about the keys
you choose to support on your remote, but for those keys which have
equivalent values in the DOM3 Events spec, that is the name that should
be supported by browsers on your device when using Web content.

I hope that clarifies the matter and eases your concerns.  Please let me
know if you have other thoughts on the matter.  I would especially
appreciate pointers to lists of keys you think should be supported.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs