Re: [tech] Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com> wrote:

> I think the issue you raised is a valid one and there was some work done in
> the groups I've been working with, in particular OIPF[1] and HbbTV[2]
> (partially inherited from another spec)

I believe there's some good stuff in OIPF and HbbTV, but I have to say
-- to get this out there (and hopefully resolved as a potential issue
sooner rather than later) -- that the terms of use of the OIPF
documents in particular are not especially conducive to reuse, as it
were.

i.e.,

"No part may be reproduced except as authorized by written permission.
Any form of reproduction and/or distribution of these works is
prohibited."

I know I've avoided drawing from OIPF stuff because of this in the
context of Project Baird (http://projectbaird.com/) because of this. A
nonredistributable spec for Web stuff could be likened to a teapot
made of chocolate in some respects :)

I don't know if this is a theoretical rather than a practical problem,
but I'd certainly like to know for sure that things such as the DAE
can be drawn upon, especially by the W3C, without fear of
recriminations of some kind. Is there an easy route to resolution
maybe?

M.

--
Mo McRoberts