Re: [tech] Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

Mo,
let me clarify a bit the intent of my post.

I don't represent OIPF or HbbTV (I just happen to be involved in their
activities),
so my mail wasn't aimed to push any particular solution but just to show
what these 2 fora have done as an example of problems
that people have tried to solve.

I think what we are interested here is which kind of problems people have
found and how they have tried to solve it.
This is (IMO) a valuable input for W3C when working on a similar topic.

See inline few more comments:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:25:28 +0200, Mo McRoberts
<mo.mcroberts@nexgenta.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I think the issue you raised is a valid one and there was some work
>> done in
>> the groups I've been working with, in particular OIPF[1] and HbbTV[2]
>> (partially inherited from another spec)
>
> I believe there's some good stuff in OIPF and HbbTV, but I have to say
> -- to get this out there (and hopefully resolved as a potential issue
> sooner rather than later) -- that the terms of use of the OIPF
> documents in particular are not especially conducive to reuse, as it
> were.
>
> i.e.,
>
> "No part may be reproduced except as authorized by written permission.
> Any form of reproduction and/or distribution of these works is
> prohibited."

You are perfectly right about copyright. Once again my idea was to show
which problem were raised/solved by these documents rather then suggesting
to "copy" from them.

> I know I've avoided drawing from OIPF stuff because of this in the
> context of Project Baird (http://projectbaird.com/) because of this. A
> nonredistributable spec for Web stuff could be likened to a teapot
> made of chocolate in some respects :)
>
> I don't know if this is a theoretical rather than a practical problem,
> but I'd certainly like to know for sure that things such as the DAE
> can be drawn upon, especially by the W3C, without fear of
> recriminations of some kind. Is there an easy route to resolution
> maybe?

Given the "open" nature of W3C, there are 2 possible options:
1. W3C define its own solution. In this case, existing (public) specs are
only interesting to have a feeling of what have already been done in this
area.
2. These fora/consortia/groups decide to propose some of the technologies
they have defined to W3C for consideration. I think (but that's just an
opinion) that W3C will be happy to consider input from other organizations
if this is done under W3C terms of usage.

Anyway thanks for raising the issue and giving me the chance to clarify my
PoV.

Regards,
Giuseppe

> M.