Re: IG charter: modification suggestion - Scope & Decision

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 16:29:25 +0200, Daniel Park <soohongp@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/10/4 Pfeffer, Heiko <heiko.pfeffer@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I just joined the list, so let me shortly introduce myself: my name is
>> Heiko and I'm working as project manager at the Fraunhofer Institut
>> FOKUS,
>> where we are researching and developing cross-device and cross-OS
>> applications.
>>
>> We are thus especially interested in technologies and standards to
>> bridge
>> the gap between application development for TV sets, classic
>> workstations,
>> and mobile computing devices.
>>
>> We would be happy to contribute to the area of inter-device
>> communication
>> and access to device-specific resources. We are also leading the Webinos
>> project (http://webinos.org/) that has just been kicked-off and whose
>> output may be quite valuable for the Web and TV WG.
>>
>> What do you think about including a task similar to the following:
>> "Exploration of technologies to discover and access device specific
>> resources and services to enable the development of applications that
>> can
>> run on devices stemming from the TV as well as the Web domain."
>>

> I like this idea, and interested in this topic. That looks very nice if
> Web
> can be used and easily adoptive for cross-devices according to each
> device
> characteristics. But, not sure whether it is in scope of this IG since
> it is
> targeting for TV stand alone, not mobile device and others either. For
> further clarification, perhaps TV term in this IG should be clearly
> defined
> (e.g., just mean for fixed TV or all of usable devices for TV, etc...)

Hi Daniel,
first of all thanks for your interest.

About the question "what is a TV", I think one of the goals of this IG
(note: not a WG) is exactly to better define which devices should be
considered as part of the "TV" experience.
So mainly and more naturally TV sets but this doesn't exclude for example
companion devices and other devices used in the home environment (and not
only).

That's why the drafts talks about "TV devices and TV-like devices". A more
precise definition and understanding will be hopefully be one of the
outcomes of the discussion we will have in the next months.

best regards,
Giuseppe

> Daniel

Linux Devices SDK