From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Sent: 04 February 2022 17:41
To: James Rosewell <james@51degrees.com>; Nick Doty <ndoty@cdt.org>; public-web-adv@w3.org
Cc: Katherine Wei <kwei@zetaglobal.com>; Wendy Seltzer <wseltzer@w3.org>; Kris Chapman <kristen.chapman@salesforce.com>; Sam Goto <goto@google.com>; Beri Lee <berilee@google.com>; dan sinclair <dsinclair@google.com>; Heather Flanagan <hlf@sphericalcowconsulting.com>; Tim Cappalli <Tim.Cappalli@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [web-adv] February 1 agenda

On 2022-02-04 10:40, James Rosewell wrote:

> One consequence of work to reduce data sharing between different

> internet domains, such as Privacy Sandbox or GPC, is to significantly

> increase the value of directly identifiable personal data such as

> email addresses and telephone numbers.

I am very reluctantly stepping in here as editor of the GPC specification to correct this piece of disinformation. While everyone can make honest mistakes, when someone speaks confidently and assertively in public, it is tempting to assume that they at least understand the topic well enough to get the more elementary facts right.

That is not the case here.

GPC does not "reduce data sharing between different internet domains."

Where enforceable, GPC only impinges upon the right of service providers to reuse data independently of a business or person. Crucially, GPC applies in the exact same way to personal data shared using cookie IDs, email addresses, phone numbers, or whatever else one may cook up.

Please note that I am only providing a fact check on the GPC part of that email, and not implying by omission that its non-GPC parts are in any way more truthful.

--

Robin Berjon

VP Data Governance

The New York Times Company

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose, use, store or copy the information contained herein. This is an email from 51Degrees.mobi Limited, Davidson House, Forbury Square, Reading, RG1 3EU. T: +44 118 328 7152; E: info@51degrees.com; 51Degrees.mobi Limited t/as 51Degrees.