Re: discussion on FLOC performance?

Arnaud,

Thank you for your interest in our Floc experiment. I understand that you
have a lot of questions/comments regarding our work --  I am happy to
answer them in our next W3C meeting. Below is a response to some of your
questions.

The reported Floc experiments were conducted with the algorithms described
in the whitepaper listed below:

https://github.com/google/ads-privacy/raw/master/proposals/FLoC/FLOC-Whitepaper-Google.pdf

As stated in the whitepaper, the floc algorithms were designed with the
following principles in mind:

“

   1.

   The cohort id should prevent individual cross-site tracking.
   2.

   A cohort should consist of users with similar browsing behavior.
   3.

   Cohort assignments should be unsupervised algorithms, since each
   provider has their own optimization function.
   4.

   A cohort assignment algorithm should limit the use of “magic numbers”.
   That is, its parameter choice should be clearly and easily explained.
   5.

   Computing an individual’s cohort should be simple. This allows for it
   to be implemented in a browser with low system requirements.”

In other words, the algorithms are designed to be as generalized and widely
applicable as possible.

The algorithms were also tested for two publicly available data sets and
one proprietary Ads data set.

   1.

   Million Song Database
   2.

   MovieLens Database
   3.

   Google proprietary Ads

The algorithms described and tested in the above paper were used to run an
A/B test. As per the explainer
<https://github.com/google/ads-privacy/blob/master/proposals/FLoC/Floc-live-experiments.md>,
the 95% number was tested on Google’s audience taxonomy. While this 95%
number may be unique to Google Ads production system (as would be the case
with any A/B experiment) it’s worth re-emphasizing that the FloC algorithms
are general and unsupervised, and hence are not expected to perform
significantly better or worse for any specific vendor’s taxonomy. The
k-anonymity threshold enforced in the experiment required a minimum of 500
users minimum per cohort. It should be noted that this number was based on
constructing/simulating Flocs from Google Ads based 3P cookie system.

While some media reports omitted additional context , the original blog
post stated "Our tests of FLoC to reach in-market and affinity Google
Audiences show that advertisers can expect to see at least 95% of the
conversions per dollar spent when compared to [3P] cookie-based advertising."
In other words we were testing the effectiveness of FLoC for in-market and
affinity ad targeting within Google's ad network, as we expect other APIs
to be available to address other use cases.

We encourage more discussion regarding evaluation methodology. In addition,
Google Ads is planning to work with DSP partners with a number of promising
FLoC algorithms, via an experimental framework
<https://ads-developers.googleblog.com/2021/01/announcing-new-real-time-bidding.html>
.

Deepak

Google Ads