Re: Two variants for the redefinition of "accessibility services of software"

On Jun 5, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com> wrote:

> If we are coalescing on variant #3a, then we have the text: "services provided by an operating system, other platform software, or a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".
>
> If the user agent isn't "providing services... that are used by software to expose information..." then the user agent isn't providing "accessibility services [of platform software]".  It doesn't seem to me that any added verbiage is needed.

We seem to be going in circles a bit

you can't say
>  "services provided by an operating system, other platform software, or a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

for a couple reasons.

First    this says    Type A platform software,  other platform software  or type B platform software

that doesn’t make sense grammatically

now

Type A platform software - is os
Type B platform software - is User agent

It should be       Type A platform software,  Type B platform software or  other platform software.

thus it should be

"services provided by an operating system,a user agent  or other platform software ....

Next your suggestion
>  "services provided by an operating system, other platform software, or a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

You say    "services provided by ..... a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

What software
what software is using services provided by a user agent,

'

So I think we should go with Mary Jo's version.

MARY JO WROTE

- services provided by an operating system, user agent, or other platform software  that can be used by non-web documents or software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies.

(if you don't like USED maybe use    "relied upon"