From: Gregg Vanderheiden [gv@trace.wisc.edu]
To: Peter Korn [peter.korn@oracle.com]
CC: Michael Pluke [Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com]; public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org [public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org]
Subject: Re: Two variants for the redefinition of "accessibility services of software"

On Jun 5, 2013, at 3:44 PM, Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com<mailto:peter.korn@oracle.com>> wrote:

If we are coalescing on variant #3a, then we have the text: "services provided by an operating system, other platform software, or a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

If the user agent isn't "providing services... that are used by software to expose information..." then the user agent isn't providing "accessibility services [of platform software]".  It doesn't seem to me that any added verbiage is needed.

We seem to be going in circles a bit

you can't say
 "services provided by an operating system, other platform software, or a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

for a couple reasons.

First    this says    Type A platform software,  other platform software  or type B platform software

that doesn’t make sense grammatically

now

Type A platform software - is os
Type B platform software - is User agent

It should be       Type A platform software,  Type B platform software or  other platform software.

thus it should be

"services provided by an operating system,a user agent  or other platform software ....

Next your suggestion
 "services provided by an operating system, other platform software, or a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

You say    "services provided by ..... a user agent that are used by software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies".

What software
what software is using services provided by a user agent,

'

So I think we should go with Mary Jo's version.

MARY JO WROTE

- services provided by an operating system, user agent, or other platform software  that can be used by non-web documents or software to expose information about the user interface and events to assistive technologies.

(if you don't like USED maybe use    "relied upon"

If we are using variant #3b, then perhaps Note 1 of "platform software" should be better qualified (e.g. "Examples of platform software include operating systems, virtual machines, AND SOME USER AGENTS").  But that's all I see needed here.

Peter
--
<oracle_sig_logo.gif><http://www.oracle.com/>
Peter Korn | Accessibility Principal