FW: Your comments on HTML technique for tabular information

>From Michael

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
web http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Cooper [mailto:michaelc@watchfire.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:00 am
To: John M Slatin
Subject: RE: Your comments on HTML technique for tabular information

Hi John - I think the existence of the failure technique addresses the
issue. That technique needs at least a description, of course. Something
like:

Tabular information should be represented using the <table> element.
Information is considered tabular when Logical relationships among text,
numbers, images, or other data are represented in columns and rows and
the columns and rows must be recognizable in order for the logical
relationships to be perceived. Sometimes, tabular information is
suggested by visual organization of text in a <pre> element. Because
this lacks structure it does not meet the requirements of the success
criterion.

Michael