From: Gez Lemon [mailto:gez.lemon@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:49 pm
To: John M Slatin
Subject: Re: Your comments on HTML technique for tabular information

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind words. I agree that collaborative work can be
very rewarding. I've learnt loads just working on the periphery of the
working group, but I've got a lot to learn about working in groups, as
I've not much experience. I tend to feel intimidated, and I have an
unfortunate writing style that sometimes irritates people when I don't
mean to.

So... <tbody> *is* required in HTML 4.01 but not in XHTML 1.x-- but if
the author doesn't sepcify it in an HTML 4.01 doc it is created
automatically-- is there then any need for the author to specify it?

I agree that there would be no need to specify tbody if there are no
logical header rows. When there are logical header rows, I would prefer
them to be marked up correctly so that they can be repurposed by people
who benefit from them. This is true for most optional tags and
attributes. People can use user-defined style sheets and scripts to make
it easier to understand content, but only when the markup contains the
extra information to make the content understandable.

Best regards,

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins