RE: Action item: Tabindex technique

Hi, Yvette.

Something about using the data table for the form controls just occurred
to me.I was just looking at your example again with your most recent
comments in mind.

First, it's good that you used the title attribute here. JAWS,
Window-Eyes, and Home Page Reader should all handle that well.

But I just realized something about the data table and JAWS: once in
"Forms" mode, JAWS won't report the row or column headers anymore: it
will only report the title for each input element.

I think this is probably OK for your example, because you've been
careful to put all the necessary information into the title attribute.

In fact, it may even be a bonus! In table navigation mode, screen
readers would report headers that change as the user moves from column
to column or row to row. (I think the title attribute will also be
read.) In forms mode (which HPR calls Controls mode), the AT would read
the title attribute.

Still, I wonder if the tab order problem isn't an artifact of the
decision to use a table for this form. I think the form could be
implemented using fieldset and legend, with each fieldset inside a div;
CSS could be used to position the divs side by side and the tab order
wouldn't be an issue. (I think so, anyway-- but I haven't tried it so I
might be missing something obvious.) I'm not sure this matters--
certainly a lot of people use tables the way they example does, and your
technique works well for that scenario.

So let's talk about it on Tuesday, and if everyone agrees we can put it
out for survey.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.