RE: ERT Action Item: Use Case Scenarios for EARL

Hi Shadi,

Please see my comments below:

-----Original Message-----
From: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wai-ert-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Shadi Abou-Zahra
Sent: 04 April 2005 18:52
To: 'Paul Walsh'; public-wai-ert@w3.org
Subject: Re: ERT Action Item: Use Case Scenarios for EARL

Hi Paul,

> I thought the idea was to use EARL as a click through from a WAI logo
> to demonstrate compliance of an accessible website.

Not sure what you mean by "click through", I think it is rather
supplementing Web pages with EARL results.
[PW] I am referring to the destination of the hyperlink from the logo.

> If this is the case, then it won't necessarily add much more value
> to its current use, as it will not actually prove anything.

True. The intent is not to *prove* accessibility but provide more
credibility and granularity than the logos. Please also see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-ert/2005Apr/0016.html

[PW] Understood - it is wise to ascertain how much creditability it
provides vs the amount of time and resource it uses to produce the
process and make it happen to ensure it is cost effective and a worth
while exercise. My *personal* opinion is that this is masking a problem
with a stick plaster - i.e. the necessity to have an officially
recognised roster of accessibility conformance auditors.

> It will only describe a list of test cases results as collated from
> various sources, which will still not include every test case
> performed by an auditor.

Can you provide an example when a test performed by an auditor
would/should not be included in the list of results?
[PW] There are no examples to provide as you should not knowingly leave
test cases undocumented. What I said was, it is impossible to document
every test case scenario permutation. This is a technical fact within
the testing community. I really haven't got the time to research a
hyperlink to an official website that details this so you'll have take
my word for it until other express the same. All of my consultants are
ISEB qualified so this might be a good place for you to start your
research should you wish to pursue this comment further.

Kind regards,
Paul

Regards,
  Shadi