Re: " W3C Culture" CG? RE: Problems I'd like to see addressed in Process 2016

Hi all,
(chiming in from the very rear ranks :-) )

Revitalizing W3C - I think it is about culture and people, not documents
or guides.
Everybody's gut reaction is to create a process or use a tool of some
sort, in the hope that this will change human nature.
It will not.
First you need the culture, then the process or tool to support it.

So how is human nature expressed in W3C work?
I think people do not have the patience and the interest to stick with
standardization work throughout the entire process.
Therefore they are happy to leave that work to others (W3C) if it does
not directly affect them.

What is the culture at W3C?
W3C and those few really active members, most of whom are on this list,
want to "get it right" the first time.
This, however, created a drawn out process that is turning the public away.

I think what is missing at W3C is a slightly different outlook and hands
on people work.
More agility, less waterfall.

Suggestions for a solution:
- deliver quicker results by focusing on the most important things first
and do that well
- embrace incompleteness in specs and allow for practical usage to show
where the journey needs to go (Kaizen is the model here)
- use short intervals to publish new iterations, which should consist
mostly of addendums and few corrections
- chairs need to lead much more strongly and, for example, drop issues
if work is not being done or debated endlessly, because obviously it is
not important enough to obtain a result
- the rules must be few, simple and clear, but truly enforced
- create a much stronger focus for groups, by providing the role of
moderator who has no technical stake in a specification, but solely
works with the participants to keep them focused

In summary I think the W3C process could benefit from looking more at
agile software development processes.
Those methods build on human's chaotic nature and refine a product over
time.
The current waterfall-like culture of creating specs is straining W3C
and draining people - and the resulting specs are not final either.

-- Kai

On 26.04.2015 17:29, Jeff Jaffe wrote:

> On 4/26/2015 12:49 AM, chaals@yandex-team.ru wrote:
>> + coralie@

>>> Given W3Process CG still uses a lot of old skool practices the
>>> consortium should presumably discourage (f.ex. still using Hg rather
>>> than Github, schedule-driven releases, synchronous decision making,
>>> weekly calls, etc.), it seems like a more `progressive` group should be
>>> used or a new one created.
>> The Process CG doesn't use synchronous decision-making or
>> schedule-driven releases in general - it is only the AB Process task
>> force, who are camping within the structure, that works that way.
>>
>> If the contents of the Guide, or some putative replacement, are
>> placed in github - or some similar easy editing mechanism is exposed
>> - I see no reason why we couldn't just work on it here, and I'll
>> track it to make that possible.
>
> The team has a great interest in this project and we would certainly
> be willing to participate with any venue (this ProcessCG, O&TCG or a
> different one) that wanted to pick up the task of keep the guide
> vibrant and relevant.
>

>> Coralie is carbon copied (Old School terminology and spelling
>> warning) here because she is the listed maintainer for the Guide, and
>> it would be worth doing something to make sure we don't just fall out
>> of synch or throw away the good stuff in there with the rest.
>>
>>> FWIW, I think the above is in scope for the OpenAndTransparent CG ;-).
>>> However, it also seems like all that is needed to bootstrap the
>>> above is
>>> to create a new project under github.com/w3c/ (such as
>>> {How-To,Guide,GuidelinesAndBPs, ...}) and then announce the project and
>>> solicit PRs. It's not clear any formal `group` is actually needed.
>> Right. Although it is pretty useful to be able to explain where to
>> send comments, and know where to expect them to be sent if you might
>> want to respond…
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> --
>> Charles McCathie Nevile - web standards - CTO Office, Yandex
>> chaals@yandex-team.ru - - - Find more at http://yandex.com

*Scheppe IT Consulting*
Unternehmensberatung / Interim Management / Projektmanagement

Kai-Dietrich Scheppe
Eltzer Strasse 10
31311 Uetze

k.scheppe@t-online.de <mailto:k.scheppe@t-online.de>